Day 3...

Hello to all Serpies!
*** We decided to make this blog a weekly event, on Wednesday club day, to keep in touch with each other and share what's going on at this crazy time! ***
I just re-read the editor’s introduction I wrote for Serpentimes Issue 11. Published on March 13th, what seems like a lifetime ago now, my introduction addressed the importance of sport in fostering new friendships and how vital sport and social connections are to mental health. A week into the Covid-19 quarantine, the thoughts expressed in my introduction seem truer than ever. 
All club events and training sessions have been cancelled. I must admit, that lately, I rarely made it to the Wednesday and Saturday runs, but it comforted me to know they were there and to know that I could show up and count on having a run with someone, be they an old friend or a new face. Now these runs, as well as fixtures like the Handicap, have been taken away indefinitely and it has left me with a sense of loss. If I knew when the restrictions would be lifted then perhaps this would all be a bit easier to deal with. I could hardnose it through with an eye on the goal. But, the indefinite nature of this physical distancing leaves me adrift.  
For now, while we are still allowed outside, I have been carrying on with my running, albeit solo. Yesterday I did a 7.3 mile run to Bushy Park. There were others there, but not near the number that the park normally sees on a Parkrun Saturday. Parkrun began at Bushy Park and is one of the biggest, seeing an average of 740 runners a week. But this Saturday, there were no marshals and no Parkrunners. Even so, the park was surprisingly busy, full of others in need of exercise therapy during this stressful time.

As I ran I found myself looking at other people with a mixture of sympathy (we’re all in this together) and suspicion (are they carrying the virus?). This virus is an especially repugnant enemy because it is invisible, turning us all into potential carriers, even our friends and loved ones, people we normally turn to for comfort in a time of need. It even makes me look at myself with suspicion. Am I asymptomatic? Could I accidently give it to someone for whom the virus would be lethal? These are the thoughts that cycled through my head as I ran. I was tense and stressed, but as with almost every run, by the time I got home I felt more relaxed and hopeful. 
Normally a 3-day-a-week runner, I have been trying to run every day because of the dread that my running rights might be taken away. With NHS facilities coming under more stress from the virus, I fear that the government will soon force us to stay inside unless absolutely necessary. And although I feel outdoor exercise is beneficial for my mental health, isolation for the good of society takes precedence.  
What is a Serpie to do in these extraordinary times of physical isolation? I have made two discoveries. First, I have broken out the yoga mat. There has been a plethora of free yoga classes being offered in response to the home isolation restrictions. Although it’s nice to practice yoga with others, these online classes are brilliant for people that are familiar with the poses. For me, yoga not only satisfies some of my exercise needs, but also helps me calm down. 
Second, I have harnessed the power of WhatsApp, videocalls, and even the good ol’ telephone. My various Serpie WhatsApp chats – both group and individual – have been a lifesaver. We’re able to share our worries and queries, but also keep each other’s spirits up. The other night. I even joined a videocall with a group of Serpies. Although there is no substitute for seeing people in person, it was surprisingly uplifting to see their faces and share a laugh. Many of you might talk on the phone daily, but for me, the days of my marathon phone calls ended in the mid-2000s, once texting emerged. My cell phone plan includes talk minutes, but I never paid any attention to them because I did all my communicating through WhatsApp and text. Well, Covid-19 has changed all that. I have spoken more on the phone this week than I did all of last year. How funny! But when you are forced to be away from people, there is a newfound importance in the sound of their voice and you get a much clearer sense of their feelings than can be conveyed through writing. 
We’re at the end of week one and heading into week two of this crisis. Although I look toward the next week with trepidation – Will I be allowed to continue to go to work and exercise outside? Will my loved ones contract Covid-19? Will I get sick? -  I have increased appreciation for the friends and family in my life. 
from Diana Valk, Serpentimes Editor, and the Serpie Mental Health Champions
photo Richmond Park during the one exercise per day regime

Comments

  1. Thank you - I enjoyed reading this. I think its important to exchange experiences. Social distancing should really be changed to physical distancing, but of course that ship has sailed. Social consideration is more important than ever. Hyde Park was busy with runners yesterday. I also have a strange feeling going past other runners - I thought etiquette had improved which was a pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What good is a running club in a time of pandemic?

Well, this is taking a while, isn't it?